I’m not going to set annual personal goals this year.
I’m working on my morning rituals instead.
How many people set a goal in January that they’ve forgotten by April? Humans typically have 90 day cycles of focus before things get…fuzzy. Hence why quarters have 3 months.
But it’s the daily journey, the regimens and practices, that take you far.
Put another way, goal-setting is nothing without the daily discipline of how you get there.
Enough concepts, here’s my new 2024 intention and daily morning ritual:
2024 Intention: Calm and Regulated
6:30am Wake up
- 20 minute meditation
- 20 minute exercise with breath work
- Quick phone check
- 30 minutes to walk my dog, Bodhi
- 30 minutes to make matcha, breakfast, and dress
These are my best practices for building your ideal ritual:
- Set an overall intention — my 2024 intention is to be calm and regulated. Long COVID introduced dysregulation to my nervous system over the last 2 years, so this is a top priority for getting my life back.
- Align your daily ritual — I asked myself the question, “What activities and settings make me feel calm and regulated?” Write that list down and use it as the backbone of your ritual.
- Schedule your ritual the same time everyday — It’s much easier to build a habit when you do it the same time with the same ingredients.
- Wake up to your ritual….not your phone — Decide where in your ritual you check your phone. I encourage you to wait until the middle or end of it if you can.
And if you’re a science nerd like me, here are some of facts that will impact your ritual:
- Get 15-20 minutes of sunshine outside within the first hour of waking up (no sunglasses, don’t stare directly at sun) and/or turn on bright lights when you wake up.
- Don’t have caffeine for the first 60-90 minutes of the day so that you can let adenosine (the sleepy chemical that builds up overnight) wear off naturally. Otherwise you get that afternoon slump.
- Incorporating AM exercise also reduces adenosine levels in the body.
- Try to incorporate a cold AM shower or bath to increase dopamine levels throughout the day up to 250% from baseline.
Wishing you lots of cold showers and morning sunlight!